Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Thor to Celebrate the Big 8!






Thornton will celebrate his 8th birthday this Friday. I would like to take a little time to look back at Thornton's 8 years on this earth. Thor, as he is called, entered this world to much celebration. He was a boy and that alone was cause for celebration for his father and myself(of course) but mostly Michael. In fact, at the ultra sound reading, I remember Michael playing a tape recorded song of the Who's-It's a boy, Mrs. Walker, it's a boy! A son! A son! A son! You have to know Michael well to understand.

Anyway, Thornton was a good baby but was a little more difficult than Murphy. Then again Murphy was such an easy infant to care for. Thor did not like his infant formula very well. We tried regular formula...we tried soy formula and neither sat well with the mighty Thor and let me tell you, he let us know he was not happy. We ended up putting him on Nutramagen...a mighty expensive and smelly infant formula. I can't tell you how elated I was when Thor finally accepted whole milk and we could do away with the Nutramagen..never to be needed again, thank goodness.

Thor was not a cuddly baby. He always wiggled and squirmed when being held. He rarely wanted to be held. Looking back, I think the poor thing was just hungry all of the time. As time wore on, in his toddler years, Thor became much more cuddly and actually wanted to be held and he has been a sweet, sensitive, loving boy ever since. Don't get me wrong, he has his moments. But for the most part, Thor is an ideal 8 year old.

One of my fondest memories is of Thor and his long blond curls. I never thought I would let my son's hair grow long but he had such beautiful hair, I could not bring myself to cut it. When we finally did cut it, I think Thor was traumatized. Not because he didn't have beautiful locks anymore..it's because he loved to twirl his hair in his fingers, like his Grandma Thornton and his Mommy. Thor compensated by grabbing onto Murphy's hair and twirling it in his fingers whenever he could get away with it. I tried to find a picture of Thor and his long locks but apparently I only have hard copies of those photos...no electronic images..and alas no scanner.

Thor does Karate...he is very smart..sometimes too smart...he reads constantly...and is constantly throwing out facts to us to show off his knowledge. He loves video games and comic books and believe it or not he's a great dancer.

He's an all around great kid. Happy Birthday Thor!

6 comments:

Katie said...

I so know what you mean about the Nutramagen!!! We had Preston on it and what a difference it made! Nobody had told us about it until he was 8 months old and we thought we would never make it through him! He is our sweet child now just like THor!!! Wow we will both have 8 year olds at the same time! Corby turns 8 on June 2nd!!! Happy Bday Thor!

MoCos said...

Happy Birthday BOY!! Tell boy I hope he has an awesome 8th birthday. Hopefully he can put some of his sweet dance moves to work on his big day... Well hope everyone is doing well.... Finally had two 70 + days.. It might be Spring!!

deborahcosgrove said...

Happy Birthday Thor!!!!!!
Eight is so great

Meghann Whitmer said...

Happy 8th Birthday Thor!! I hope your mom and dad let you have a birthday party! I think that on my 8th birtday I had a party at the skate palace! Or maybe it was a house party and we played the Grand Prize game from the Bozo Show. You would have loved BOZO!! Have a great day and eat lots of cake and ice cream.

MoCos said...

my birthday was the grand prize game meghann.. not yours.. It was my 5th birthday party and we got it on tape.. so don't steal my thunder, Bozo is mine, and Cookie always got crapped on by Bozo who never let him lead the grand march.. that was only reason I watched...

Anonymous said...

So now I know that it is genetic to twirl the hair-Chloe does that all the time! We have grandpa to blame for that-it is cute though! He is such a little cutie-they all are! Enjoy!
love
Quinn