Friday, April 10, 2009

Back Home to Reality


We have been home for quite some time from Florida, however, my blog would not reflect that.  It is time to update.  As of today, I have worked 13 straight days.  We arrived home on a Friday afternoon and I had to work that Saturday and Sunday and then the entire following week.  I was exhausted all week and just waiting for Friday to arrive.  However, as many of you know, that Friday was not able to provide me any relief.  A mentally unstable man entered our local American Civic Association(an immigrant education and support center) and opened fire killing 13 people and injuring four others before taking his own life.  The incident happened in the City of Binghamton and while it was mainly a City of Binghamton police response, Broome County operations were impacted in a major way.  I work for the Broome County Executive's Office in case you didn't know.  Our Emergency Services, Sheriff's Office, Security staff, Mental Health, Health Department, IT and BC Transit were all called in to provide services that Friday afternoon and for the last week.  It was and is a terrible, senseless tragedy.   The families impacted by this inexplicable violence are devastated and our community is heartbroken for them.  National media has descended on Binghamton and it most cases told beautiful stories about the victims and positive stories about our community.  Not all were quite so thoughtful in their coverage but I guess that is to be expected.  There is not much more to say about this incident.  It is just sad!  Very sad!

No comments: